Friday 25 March 2011

Military Service Problems


Last night a friend of mine from Turkey came to London. He studies at University of Derby. He will go back to Turkey for Easter holiday however he has to postpone his military service. Every male Turkish citizen has to join army for a certain period of time, however if they have a special condition such as illnesses or studies, they can postpone it for a while.
In the morning we went to education consultant of Turkish Consulate. Their office is at Edgware Road. We were given a form there and we filled it. They checked our information and my friend’s was ok. However there was something wrong with my application, because according to records I was on the run. I called the university at where I used to study in Turkey. They said they made a mistake about my papers in the past. They sent a petition to military service office and we solved the problem in 3 hours.
I feel relieved now since it might be a big problem when I would want to go back to Turkey since officers can monitor this kind of information at airports in Turkey.
After this stressful 3 hours, we hung around Edgware Road to relax. We had some food in a kebab restaurant. We decided to take a walk to Hyde Park since the weather was really good. On the way my friend Caglar walked into a shop to buy some souvenirs for his family and friends. There were really funny t-shirts about London.
Around 18:00 pm we came back to home because he had a flight at 11 o’clock from Heathrow airport. He had too many luggage for just 2 weeks. Probably he will have to pay quite a lot money for extra weight.
On the way to Heathrow I found myself thinking about my family and my friends in Turkey. I think I was envious of Caglar, he was going back and I had to stay since I have to study for final exams. Also I will travel around the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment