Saturday 19 March 2011

Presentation Assignment

4 weeks ago we were asked to do a presentation to do as an assignment which has significant effect on our final marks for Foundation English subject. When I heard this I was really disappointed, because I am not a good presenter at all. When I deliver the presentation, I always make funny mistakes and embarrass myself.  However it was something inevitable, so I had no way out of this situation without doing presentation. We are asked to form groups for the presentation, since it was a group work. I was eased a little bit. 
Following week, two of my friends proposed me to do presentation together. I couldn’t turn them down, so I asked our lecturer to form a crowded group and he was ok with that. In the end we ended up being a four men group. Another friend of mine couldn’t find a partner and he joined us.
We decided to give a presentation about job stress and how to cope with it. However we started preparing presentation a little later than I had expected, since everybody had other tasks to do. Last week we managed to finish the slide show. Mostly we used the material at INTO Resource Centre and City University’s Online Library. We didn’t have time to go and check the hard copies at City University, so online library was really handy.
Before the presentation day, we practised it 6 or 7 times. I was the worst presenter in the group. I tried really hard, but I couldn’t feel confident about the idea of speaking in front of other people. If it was something that I had to do spontaneously, I would have been ok. But when I plan a speech, I always make mistakes.
Last Friday was the big day. My group was the first group to present. There was no reason for me to feel nervous, since we were all well prepared. We prepared a good presentation with necessary amount of research and a good slideshow. We practised it rather a lot. However I was still uneasy. Ali started the presentation with introduction and definitions. After that Alex took over and started to explain 2 symptoms of job stress. Alex left his place to Inam and he carried on explaining the rest of the symptoms. ‘Here we are!’ I thought, it was my turn to talk about the measures which must be taken to avoid stress and the conclusion.
I was so tense. I took a deep breath and started. The nervousness was flowing from my body. I even missed a bullet point that I needed to explain, but in the end it turned out to be ok. Everybody was satisfied. We answered a couple of questions from audience and we took our places to listen other presentation. After the class when I talked to other people, they stated that our presentation was really good probably the best. Our team work gave its fruits so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment